On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:22:45 -0500 (EST)
Came this utterance fomulated by [EMAIL PROTECTED] to my mailbox:

> I've gone through your web site and I still do not understand  what
> Open Office does.  To what purpose do I use it, for what, what does it
>  do.  How would it help me?  I would appreciate an answer that I, a
>  layman can
> understand.
>
> M.  S.  Weiner

To be honest it is a deceptively simple program in which you may not use
any more functions than the traditional Microsoft Wordpad program. But
it is nice to know that there are a lot more functions available if you
need them:
http://why.openoffice.org/why_great.html

Documentation is available here:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/
With individual chapters for OO.o 2.x here:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
and for OO.o 3.x here:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/index.html

I reccomend at least the getting started guide for the version you have.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416