Arnold:

There is another option and that is OOOForums.  This is the method used by most
of the FOSS projects hosted by SourceForge.

There are some projects that do use mailing lists, but they are subscription
only.

This leaves us with:

Subscription only mailing list and/or the use of fora.

In either case, reading the FAQs and archives should be done prior to
posting/subscribing.

James McKenzie