OpenOffice equivalent of PPT is named Impress.
Your daughter will be able to create presentations just fine with
Impress (just make sure she saves the in PPT format before bringing to
school).
You may or may not encounter some problems when opening .ppt files, but
things will improve with each new released version.
So save money and go for OpenOffice.