We should probably be wary of jumping too readily to the conclusion that anyone who uses Microsoft software is dishonest or incompetent.

At 09:30 17/05/2007 -0400, James Knott wrote (of Office 2007):
Isn't that the version that only writes .docx files and not .doc? If so, how'd he read them in OpenOffice?

Word 2007 saves documents in the .docx format by default, but can also save files in the older .doc format. So the answer is "easily".