Daniel Pantoja wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new user of the product and I'm curious; what's the purpose of
> developing OpenOffice? It seems there's already a couple of Microsoft
> solutions out there for folks who need word processing, database, spreadsheet
> capabilities; just wondering why the push to develop this suite.
>
> Thanks for yoru consideration; I look forward to your response.

Aside from the cost, there are many reasons.

1) Lock in.  Microsoft tries to force you to buy only their products.
Microsoft Office is not available for Linux, and as I understand it, the
Mac version isn't fully compatible with the Windows version.

2) Microsoft tries to force their own proprietary "standards", instead
of using instead of internationally recognized ISO standards such as the
OpenDocument Format that OpenOffice and other packages use.  In their
recent attempt to force OOXML as an ISO standard, they've corrupted the
ISO committee to the point where other standards are now stalled.

3) Microsoft has been convicted on multiple occasions of using illegal
methods to force market share.  In the process they've destroyed many
companies and technologies and have, in general, greatly retarded
progress in the computer industry.  For example of this, compare Windows
with Mac, Linux or even OS/2 from 15 years ago.  Other long gone
computers, such as Amiga and Atari were far more advanced in many ways
than Windows.

4) Everything about OpenOffice and other open source software is wide
open.  You have the source coded available, so that if you're so
inclined, you can customize the software.  With the open standard file
formats, your data is not locked in to a vendors product.  Microsoft has
often changed formats over the years, so a document created back in the
'80s is no longer readable by the current software.  On the other hand,
there are multiple vendors providing software that works with the ODF
files.  And, even if an app is no longer available, the complete file
specs are, so someone could write software to open the files.  Also, as
demonstrated last week, it is easy to recover data from a corrupt ODF
file.  Try that with a proprietary MS file.

5) Microsoft software tends to be poor quality.  Take a look at all the
problems with malware in Windows.  Much of this problem can be traced to
very poor software engineering, some deliberately so.

The above is a very short list, from the very long list of why using
*ANY* Microsoft software is a bad idea.  As Microsoft has repeatedly
demonstrated, they don't care how they hurt their customers, so long as
they can squeeze out another nickel!

Here's a recent article about how Microsoft tried to force market
share.  The Nigerian government had contracted a vendor to provide
several thousand computers loaded with Linux.   Microsoft then bribed
the vendor to use Windows instead.
http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
There are many, many other examples of Microsoft using such illegal
methods over the years.

So, the choice is yours.  You can support a convicted monopolist, who's
only interested in your money.  Or you can support the other side of the
industry that promotes compatibility and openness.