On 10 Jul 2020, at 20:02, Luis E. Muñoz wrote:

On 10 Jul 2020, at 12:29, @lbutlr wrote:

If people are so fragile that they have to hold on to terms that are extremely offensive to some of their peers, they will get more spam. Oh noes.

I keep hearing about this mythical people that get terribly offended by the use of these words. I've been working in IT since the 90s, and I've never actually seen one in real life. Do they really exist?

"Terribly offended" is not what I've heard from anyone but the issue has been raised by Black colleagues a few times in multiple contexts, as Yet Another Minor Annoyance in a world stuffed full of such little things. If you want a direct first-hand explication, hunt down the recent extended rant on Twitter by Jackie Singh (@find_evil) triggered by the suggestion that the Black Hat conference was considering a name change and the blowback from that.

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)