On 20200710 23:51:19, Bill Cole wrote:
On 10 Jul 2020, at 20:02, Luis E. Muñoz wrote:

On 10 Jul 2020, at 12:29, @lbutlr wrote:

If people are so fragile that they have to hold on to terms that are extremely offensive to some of their peers, they will get more spam. Oh noes.

I keep hearing about this mythical people that get terribly offended by the use of these words. I've been working in IT since the 90s, and I've never actually seen one in real life. Do they really exist?

"Terribly offended" is not what I've heard from anyone but the issue has been raised by Black colleagues a few times in multiple contexts, as Yet Another Minor Annoyance in a world stuffed full of such little things. If you want a direct first-hand explication, hunt down the recent extended rant on Twitter by Jackie Singh (@find_evil) triggered by the suggestion that the Black Hat conference was considering a name change and the blowback from that.

When they get upset at words like blacklist I sit bemused if they bothered to sit back and learn the origination of the N-word. They are calling themselves black after deploring being called black. So the goal does not seem to be changing "blacklist". It is simply disruption. If it breaks something, who cares? Well, I care and don't want to have to fix the carnage from their (temporary) appeasement. This is particularly true since from here I cannot see the color of anybody's skin but my own. All I can see is accomplishments. That is what matters. And declaring that is racist is also declaring that you think some particular race needs special regard, making you a racist. It's a tricky word you cannot deploy without revealing it in yourself.

SA is free software. So I get exactly what I pay for, and usually a heck of a lot more. I'd hate to see it broken. That would break my regard for the development team, which has taken a couple heavy hits over the years but still remains relatively high. If having the high regard of users matters let it be known that another big dose of pain keeping it running will simply move me away. And there are tools which eventually would break even if foolist and barlist are synonyms with the latter created due to the former's bad connotations, which are not bad at all. Eventually foolist goes away or breaks and I have to diagnose the nonsense. And I am getting too old to bother with nonsense when email providers have filters I can suffer with or I can simply use something that works and never upgrade. Either way it would be a loss of one egoboost point to the developers for whatever that is worth. Bitter experience suggests changes with no good technical reason for them are dangerous.

{O.O}