On 11 Jul 2020, at 00:51, Bill Cole <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com>
wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2020, at 20:02, Luis E. Muñoz wrote:
>
>> On 10 Jul 2020, at 12:29, @lbutlr wrote:
>>
>>> If people are so fragile that they have to hold on to terms that are
>>> extremely offensive to some of their peers, they will get more spam. Oh
>>> noes.
>>
>> I keep hearing about this mythical people that get terribly offended by the
>> use of these words. I've been working in IT since the 90s, and I've never
>> actually seen one in real life. Do they really exist?
>
> "Terribly offended" is not what I've heard from anyone but the issue has been
> raised by Black colleagues a few times in multiple contexts, as Yet Another
> Minor Annoyance in a world stuffed full of such little things.

Exactly. Although in other packages and usages the one that *has* caused
terrible offense is master/slave. Many projects have been changing this over
the last several years.

It is astonishing, but not surprising, how angry people are over these changes
though; it betrays at the very least a real lack of empathy.

--
When the least they could do to you was everything, then the most
        they could do to you suddenly held no terror. --Small Gods