On 14 Jul 2020, at 9:24, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

Here's a well researched
and documented article from a medical journal on the topic with expert
citations: https://jmla.pitt.edu/ojs/jmla/article/view/490 The abstract says it very well: "This commentary addresses the widespread use of racist language in discussions concerning predatory publishing. Examples include terminology such as blacklists, whitelists, and black sheep. The use of such terms does not merely reflect a racist culture, but also serves to
legitimize and perpetuate it."

You might want to note that it was included in JMLA Vol 106, No 4 (2018) in the **Commentary** section, along with pieces such as

"Using Slack to communicate with medical students"
"The relative citation ratio: what is it and why should medical librarians care?" "Transforming the systematic review service: a team-based model to support the educational needs of researchers"
and
"How to earn a reputation as a great partner"

So yeah, quoting a magazine article on a scientific-sounding source is great and all, but perhaps the citation is not as authoritative as you think it is. If you actually go and read the paper, you will see that the "evidence" the authors present is based on other people's similarly sourced lists. There are no surveys, polls or other mechanisms to query the actual sentiment of the allegedly affected population. I also have to note that this piece was not peer reviewed, so there was no checks for methodology or accuracy – why would there need to be one, it's commentary after all.

The quote provides proof that the topic is controversial. Not surprising judging by the length of the threads. I think it is also clear that there are two well defined poles on the issue.

Dismissing those that oppose this change as "socially insensitive" or "racists", as has been seen in previous messages, is a transparent attempt to demonize the opposition. The same can be said of those dismissing the group that wants to edit the terms. Both group have their own motivations and I am pretty sure that each believe their motivations to be good. I believe so about my own and I'm sure you are the same.

The vote of the PMC is being presented as an unsurmountable, immovable design from the gods that need to be followed by all. I think the PMC would be very wise to recognize that their prior vote lacked in consideration to all the positions and should be reconsidered after an appropriate opportunity to internalize the arguments that have been presented. After all, it has been recognized by some defenders of the term replacement, that this action is a mere gesture devoid of actual ability to change the real underlying problem – which is not constrained to the US, as some mentioned.

Best regards

-lem