On Tue, 2020-07-14 at 12:24 -0400, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> We'll have to agree to disagree.  To me it is clearly racially charged
> language and you are cherry picking your sources.  Here's a well
> researched
> and documented article from a medical journal on the topic with expert
> citations: https://jmla.pitt.edu/ojs/jmla/article/view/490  The
> abstract

The first *recorded* use of the term 'blacklist' or 'black list' was in
1660 when Charles II of England used it to refer to a list of those who
had killed his father, Charles I. From the context it is far more likely
that 'black list' was referring to the sin of regicide than to anybody's
skin colour.

I notice that the abstract you quoted has no references earlier than
1962, so I find it hard to take it seriously, especially as the earlier
religious links between 'black' and 'sin' appear to be ignored by it.
This is odd considering how much influence religion had on society in
the 17th century and that there was no slavery in North America before
about 1640.

Out of pure curiosity, when was the current racist use of 'black' first
coined and where did that happen?

Me? I grew up in NZ where the social norms were against any attempt to
denigrate Maoris: anybody who would not let a Maori meter-reader in to
read his electricity meter would not be sent a pakeha meter reader and
so was more or less guaranteed to get a heavy fine for late payment and
failing to get his meter read. Similarly, I don't remember the All
Blacks, national rugby team, ever not having Maoris in it.

Martin