I would posit that the 1962 date is rooted as much in the US Civil Rights
movement in the 1960's as anything else.  Before then white and black
definitely had negative connotations such as whites-only restrooms, areas
on busses, restaurants, water fountains, neighborhoods, and whatever other
atrocities people thought of to inflict on people by race.  SA is going to
stop legitimizing and perpetuating the use of racially charged language.

For those who insist, you have backwards compatibility and I hope the
change is embraced.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation