On 12/24/06, William L. Thomson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ask and you shall be answered in detail :)

On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 11:20 -0500, David Smith wrote:

> 1. Compiling tomcat.  Why???

Because it's FOSS why not? I might want to use a newer version of things
Tomcat is compiled against. There are tons of reasons, thus the link I
provided before. Here it is again for reference.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/why-build-from-source.xml

Sorry, I don't buy it. The only valid reason to rebuild tomcat (or
other java programs / packages) is to patch them, and if I'd wish to
do it, I would go to the svn of the maintainer and not play around
with probably broken distribution packages (and yes, they ARE all
broken, gento, suse, debian, ubuntu).
I think you would spare your users tons of problems if you would just
re-distribute the binaries from tomcat.apache.org and not mess around
with things. Noone who runs tomcat for professional reasons can allow
the os to do atomatic updates on it, and what is the other reason for
packaging? And for the newbies the binaries tomcat.apache.org provides
are perfect (at least they work!).

Btw, when we are on it, can you please remove gcj from the distro?
This thing is really just annoying! :-)

regards
Leon