David kerber wrote:
For my part, I generally agree with the OP. Specifically, the show stopper for me is that the documentation isn't detailed enough at the level of the application and administrator level, and especially doesn't give enough examples of the different methods of logging. I have looked at it extensively while reworking the app I inherited, and couldn't easily figure out how to configure logging to keep my app's log writes separate from Tomcat's without lots of experimentation (which didn't have time for), so I just left *everything* going to stdout. Not the preferred method, I know, but how to configure it otherwise was not clear enough for me.
It's not Tomcat's fault. Sometimes you have to deal with webapp that uses some custom loggin solution (not to mention System.out....). In some part it's general Java issue.

What I would like best is possibility to change logging levels (I use log4j) on the fly. Using e.g. JMX.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>