Leon Rosenberg wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:48 PM, David kerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
For my part, I generally agree with the OP.  Specifically, the show stopper
for me is that the documentation isn't detailed enough at the level of the
application and administrator level, and especially doesn't give enough
examples of the different methods of logging.  I have looked at it
extensively while reworking the app I inherited, and couldn't easily figure
out how to configure logging to keep my app's log writes separate from
Tomcat's without lots of experimentation (which didn't have time for), so I
just left *everything* going to stdout.  Not the preferred method, I know,
but how to configure it otherwise was not clear enough for me.

Dave

I am sorry, but do you always log to system.out in your applications?
Maybe you should take a look at some of numerous logging projects,
starting with
log4j as the most prominent.

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/index.html
Yes, system.out, and that is my point: I have looked at the log4j docs extensively, and could not figure out how to use it without investing more time than I had available. There either weren't enough practical examples, or not enough detailed instructions. Essentially I'm agreeing with the OP that either configuring it is too complex, or the docs don't make it clear how to do it simply. I'm not sure which is really the problem, but I suspect it's the docs rather than the process itself.