On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:06 PM, David kerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Leon Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:48 PM, David kerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> For my part, I generally agree with the OP.  Specifically, the show
>>> stopper
>>> for me is that the documentation isn't detailed enough at the level of
>>> the
>>> application and administrator level, and especially doesn't give enough
>>> examples of the different methods of logging.  I have looked at it
>>> extensively while reworking the app I inherited, and couldn't easily
>>> figure
>>> out how to configure logging to keep my app's log writes separate from
>>> Tomcat's without lots of experimentation (which didn't have time for), so
>>> just left *everything* going to stdout.  Not the preferred method, I
>>> know,
>>> but how to configure it otherwise was not clear enough for me.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> I am sorry, but do you always log to system.out in your applications?
>> Maybe you should take a look at some of numerous logging projects,
>> starting with
>> log4j as the most prominent.
>>
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/index.html
>>

> Yes, system.out, and that is my point:  I have looked at the log4j docs
> extensively, and could not figure out how to use it without investing more
> time than I had available.  There either weren't enough practical examples,
> or not enough detailed instructions.
> Essentially I'm agreeing with the OP that either configuring it is too
> complex, or the docs don't make it clear how to do it simply.  I'm not sure
> which is really the problem, but I suspect it's the docs rather than the
> process itself.

Errm, I'm sorry, but how is that related to tomcat?
Basically you have to add one line to your class to use log4j:

        private static Logger log = Logger.getLogger(CurrentClassName.class);

now anywhere in the class just do :
   log.info("message");
   or
   try{
       do_something();
   }catch(Exception e){
      log.error("methodname("+parameters+")", e);
   }

============
You need to more things to configure it properly, one of them is
nearly done automatically, but to be sure just create a context
listener and add to contextinitialization:
DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch(pathtolog4j.xml)

and now an example for the log4j xml
        <appender name="ErrorAppender"
class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
        <param name="File" value="logs/error.log" />
        <param name="Threshold" value="ERROR" />
        <param name="MaxFileSize" value="100MB" />
        <param name="MaxBackupIndex" value="5" />
                <param name="ConversionPattern"
                                value="%r %d{ISO8601} %-5p %c - %m%n"/>
        </layout>
        </appender>

        <logger name="com.bla.your.package" additivity="true">
                <level value="ERROR"/>
                <appender-ref ref="ErrorAppender"/>
        </logger>

and so on...