From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Appeal to Tomcat developers
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:10:58 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:01 AM

----- Original Message ----- From: "André Warnier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:23 AM
Subject: Appeal to Tomcat developers

Dear Tomcat developers,

this is a humble appeal.
I know I have in the past been "over the top" on this subject, and for that I apologise.

The appeal is about Tomcat logging.

I will venture a few risky bets :
1) for every Tomcat used in a development context, there are 100 used in a production environment
2) for every Tomcat developer, there are 1000 Tomcat users
3) for at least 900 out of these 1000 Tomcat users, the current way to configure/manage Tomcat logging is too difficult to understand
BTW Andre, its not just a TC thing, its the whole Java logging thing, its unduely complex, so I actually think TC inhereted Java's logging history. If you know how to make a little singleton, its really is not difficult adding a little logging to your servlets, with a tiny little 30 line class.
That also displays as a HTML page... thats what we do...