2010/1/10 Patrick Flaherty <pflah...@rampageinc.com>:
> Chris,
>
> Although adding ROOT of my appBase fixed my Filter mapping issue, I'm
> guessing that I need to
> put every bit of my app (all classes, libs etc ....) into that ROOT folder,
> correct ?
>
> So then if I decide to deploy another app in a virtual host say for instance
> :
>
> Host Name : www.domain.com   appBase=c:/app123
>
> If that has a folder called proofs that I want filter mapping hits on, do I
> created a ROOT folder off of my appBase (ie  c:/app123/ROOT) and put
> every bit of my app (all classes, libs etc ....) into that ROOT folder ?
>
> I'm sorry to belabor the point. I know that adding the ROOT folder fixed my
> initial problem but I not sure if that is because when only running 1 host
> it
> should be called ROOT or is it that every Host needs to have a ROOT folder
> off of it's appBase and everything should bit of the app should be put in
> there.
>
> It seems the ROOT folder was the key here but before we wanted to add filter
> mapping app worked fine when appBase is what we deemed to be the web
> root for the app. It has worked well like that for years.
>
> Is there a hard and fast rule about deployment that I'm missing ? (Probably)
> If there is. it seems to revolve around having a ROOT folder for each app
> maybe ?
>
> Any more enlightenment would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks once again.

ROOT (in uppercase) is not a "folder", but a web application.

It behaves like any other web application (You should remember, that
web applications are independent of each other). The only difference
is that it is mapped to the URL "/".

Every host should have a ROOT application.

Any requests that cannot be mapped to any other web application  will
be directed to this one, so that it can show its 404th error page or
otherwise process it.

(If there is no ROOT application deployed, such requests cannot be
processed and will result in a zero-length empty response.)

If you have two applications
  /mywebapp
  /ROOT
then
- any request to /myweapp/foo will be processed by mywebapp (and the
ROOT one will not see it at all),
- any request to /myweapp2/foo will be processed by ROOT (because
there is no myweapp2 application to process it).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko