On 6/9/2010 10:19 AM, Thomas Kloeber wrote:

    * the IP address of the backing database is one of the parameters
      that needs to be configured (in context.xml), so I can't get any
      data from the db unless it is configured...
    * the other confgurables (SPNEGO and kerberos stuff) are in web.xml
      and as long as they are not set up correct, my app won't start!
    * sounds like a catch 22 to me ...

Does that stuff HAVE to be in context.xml and web.xml, or could you put them in an external file, and just have your tomcat config files point to that external file? Or even do as I do, and put it in the service startup: -DextConfigFile=/path/to/configfile.properties