On 9.6.2010 16:19, Thomas Kloeber wrote:
    * the IP address of the backing database is one of the parameters
      that needs to be configured (in context.xml), so I can't get any
      data from the db unless it is configured...
    * the other confgurables (SPNEGO and kerberos stuff) are in web.xml
      and as long as they are not set up correct, my app won't start!
    * sounds like a catch 22 to me ...

I pack different war files for several clients. They only differ in context.xml and log4j.properties files. My packaging tool (Maven) take care of this.

Context.xml file contains customer-specific settings (database parameters, and application parameters) - check Resource, Realm and Parameter tags. Parameter tag eliminates the need to make changes in web.xml.

If I don't know some of the parameters (i.e. DB password), I leave that field empty and instruct Tomcat administor to make changes in context.xml inside archive before deployment.

I keep fine-grain settins in the database.

-Ognjen