As suggested I have installed the latest version(5.5.33) of Tomcat 5.5.x. After
installing I have typed in the browser 'http://localhost' to check if the
tomcat is installed properly. The home page is displayed indicating that the
installation is fine. Then I typed in ip address of the machine
'http://10.4.2.10' and page not found page is displayed. This is exactly the
same problem why we have downgraded the version. There are no changes or
customizations made  to the installation. It was default installation and the
only change is to use port 80 instead of 8080.

The below is the server.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>

  <GlobalNamingResources>

    <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>

              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
          pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />

  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">

               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

    <Connector port="8009"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>

      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

      </Host>

    </Engine>

  </Service>