I am migrating from JSP+Valang+...+SpringMVC to Wicket
and am also still evaluting it. So far so good until I
saw this instance about using Form Validator to
validate two related form fields.

Problem (p81-82, book Enjoy Web Development with
Wicket, PDF version only):

Suppose a postage calculation form has two fields that
accept weight and patron discount code. For a
particular patron p1, you will never ship a package
that is weighted more than 50kg. Here is the code from
the book:

public class LightValidator extends
AbstractFormValidator {
  private TextField weight;
  private TextField patronCode;

  public LightValidator(TextField weight, TextField
patronCode) {
    this.weight = weight;
    this.patronCode = patronCode;
  }

  public FormComponent[] getDependentFormComponents()
{
    return new FormComponent[] { weight, patronCode };
  }

  public void validate(Form form) {
    String patronCodeEntered = (String)
patronCode.getConvertedInput();
    if (patronCodeEntered != null) {
      if (patronCodeEntered.equals("p1")
          && ((Integer)
weight.getConvertedInput()).intValue() > 50) {
        error(weight);

I have the bad feeling about this way of validation

1. It is too much coding. Anybody used Valang in
Spring Module? By using Valang, the validation code is
much clean and a lot fewer and you dont need to create
a class simply for this simple validation.

2. Valang covers both client AND server-side
validation. Please note that client-side validation is
equally important as server-side's. I feel it is a
must for web apps in terms of user experience.

3. In Valang + Spring MVD, you have all the validation
code for a form in one place in stark contrast to
spreading it in "controller" code as in Wicket and
mixing validation code with visual manipulation code.
Valang's way is much easier to understand and
management.

So in terms of elegance, productivity, management,
..., I am not sure Wicket's is right.

Can Wicket provide a better solution?

I would like to share my concern regarding the
Wicket's WebPage, where you put a form's code for some
visual aspects, validation, ajax, etc. in one place. A
big object. I feel it is too ambitious and it looks
like spaghetti code and mixes concerns/modules in one
place. Comment?

I am very new to Wicket and don't know the best ways
of using Wicket. I love to hear from expereinced
users/guru here.

Thanks for your input!

Warm regards,

David