Reading the mails sent so far, I think Wicket should improve two aspects:

-Its "promotion"
-Support for stateless usage.

The second point has already been indicated as a target for Wicket 7. The "promotion" stuff is probably the most challenging because many of Wicket supporters has technical skills rather than promotional. IMHO a first concrete and easy-to-do step to make Wicket more appealing is creating a "Showcase" link for left menu that points to live examples. In the current site live examples don't have enough visibility (just my two cents....). We should also add some Wicket-stuff live examples to show some of the most eye-catching modules.
I think it would be exhausting and possibly risky to rely on the
appeal of the Wicket site. This appeal can already be provided by
third party sites that use Wicket. A developer can then choose to show
management a selection of sites that are relevant in context.

What drives adoption rate is development efficiency, meeting deadlines
and ease of deployment.

Sure in small markets it is difficult to find developers for Wicket,
but it is not difficult to convince a manager with the prospect of an
earlier completion date even if a couple of developers have to be
trained (or may not have to be trained because they can focus on
HTML). It is not very difficult to convince managers of that.

So what is wrong? Why is it not working? I can't provide the full
answer. But to feel confident about meeting deadlines, I would like to
see improvements in the following areas:

1) Better support of statelessness in general
2) Some stateless AJAX if possible, even if only in basic cases with
constraints say for auto-complete text fields
3) Transition from stateless pages to statful pages
4) Recovery from loss of state. Is implemented but it does not work.

So while after so many years, we don't have that, I can only
confidently recommend to use Wicket if users are allowed to have 10
hour web sessions (I have been there), or the users are already used
to be kicked out after x minutes like in some online banking sites.

Most users today are used to remember-me cookies. So how do we explain
to them that a page expired while they can "prove" that they were
still signed in?

Bernard