On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:08:17AM -0700, Robert LeBlanc wrote:

> As far as Ubuntu not giving back to the community. I would say this is
> false. Many times looking through Debian's PTS, I see bug reports and
> patches submitted by Ubuntu users. The Ubuntu community also tries to get
> packages in Debian where it fits Debian's model.

Ubuntu indeed contributes some bug fixes back (which is great).
However, the number of Ubuntu-originated bug fixes is quite small
considering its market share, and the number of big contributions is
negligible.

> I've worked with RHEL, CENTOS, etc and my biggest grip is there is no
> structure. An RPM can choose to put things anywhere (/etc, /opt, /usr, /var,
> etc). Debian has a strict file structure that every package must follow
> (config in /etc, user modified data in /var/lib/, etc) for me it makes it
> much easier to manage my servers because I can 'expect' a certain level of
> uniformity.

Debian's file structure is actually my biggest complaint.  Most
distributions try to follow the file locations from upstream.  Debian
seems to frequently mangle file locations, which makes it harder to
follow documentation from upstream projects.  Apache configuration
files, for example, are completely mangled in Debian.  My opinion is
that it would have been better for Debian to work with Apache to address
their concerns about the layout of the configuration files.

I agree that FHS compliance is important, but I prefer the practice of
working with upstream whenever possible.  Frankly, I can't think of any
major FHS violations in Fedora right now (other than polkit, which is
being fixed).  Uniformity within one distro is important, but uniformity
between distributions is also important.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/