As much as people don't like seeing a thread derailed, I think people
also don't like seeing comments like "take it to your blog."

I'd rather see a message that expresses "please, no personal attacks"
than those that express "go back to where you came from."  I guess
what I'm saying is that if you see something you don't like you should
ignore it or talk about it.  I just don't think telling someone to
take it somewhere else is the appropriate answer.  (though I could
maybe be convinced otherwise, any thoughts?)

After all, this is a discussion group and discussions should flow
freely.  The linear thread style of gmail (which most of us probably
use) makes it difficult to ignore certain branches of a thread.  Until
the format changes, we have to accept that those branches will be
whipping us in the face once in a while.