While there is no doubt that you can find them on a search engine or
through searching, you have to have the right term. I recently tried
to find a resolution about 'dog aggression' in a Yahoo group that one
of the discdog organizations uses for rules development. Searching
for 'dog aggression' left off all the posts dealing with 'aggressive
dogs', which would still happen on a forum, the only difference is
that the topics are threaded and usually has an organizational
structure, which means it's easier to find what you are looking for.

Surfing 15000 posts is not very practical. It's painful, which is why
not many people do it. People come in fresh and instead of searching
the archives, or after their search terms failed, they then ask a
question that was answered 3 months, or a year ago. Which often
incites the same hostilities that ended the thread in the past.
Picking scabs and all...

On the side, when I search for things in Yahoo groups when my
keywords don't work, I usually try to recall the date then start
surfing from there.

I think that Forums are far better situated to reflect permanence
than these groups, but that's just my opinion.

Also, I think that there are some very different human behaviors on
display in these groups vs a forum.

Cheers,

Ron Watson
http://k9disc.blip.tv