This kind of a list invites that kind of behavior.

You should see the discdog lists on Yahoo. They're brutal!

It's the main reason that I created k9disc.com. It's a real community
and we don't have any of this crap.

The thing is that these distribution lists, pretending to be groups,
are flashes in the pan - there's no permanence. So I can write
something nasty and it's gone - poof - it's the definition of FLash
in the pan.

On a discussion forum that doesn't happen. Things are permanent. It's
up there forever.

The other reason that these lists are problematic, is that they are a
pushed message - most of us get these in our inboxes and that means
that we must address them. Forums are a pulled message, which means
that we actively go in search of the information - we select it.

I think that push v pull is just as important in defining the
dialogue on these lists as the lack of permanence.

I would really like to see this list be ported to a discussion forum,
myself. There are some nice programs that allow for pulling posts
from Yahoo lists and indexing them into a forum.

I think that would be awesome!

I started to do it with the discdog lists, but there's some powerful
personalities in charge of them, and I did not want to let them set
their sights on me for 'taking' their stuff, so it never went
anywhere. We had a team of 5 cover 2000 posts each in about 1 week.
All was ready to go, but I balked because I didn't want to make any
waves.

We could do something like this here, for sure, and I'd be happy to
be a part of that.

Cheers,

Ron Watson
http://k9disc.blip.tv