Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

When adding the "filetype plugin on" to my .vimrc file, my ftplugin file is
indeed loaded when I edit *.adb files (Ada).
But it seems other stuff does not work in that case. I use vim 6.3.82.
So I made the following test: with no local filetype.vim file and no file
in .vim/ftplugin directory, I added the line "filetype plugin on" to my
..vimrc file.
Then the "Ctrl+]" shortcut which usually search my tagfile does not work
any more. Instead, it echos in the command-line ":call JumpToTad_ada('')",
whereas without the new line in .vimrc it would return a list of choices
for the keyword under the cursor.

In the end, adding that simple line to my .vimrc file seems to break the
default configuration from $VIMRUNTIME directory, even though no particular
file lies in my local $RUNTIMEPATH.

Any idea explaining that strange behaviour?

Did you have a $HOME/.vimrc file before including the "filetype plugin indent on" line? If you didn't, then you were using whatever your system had for a default (which can vary by linux distributor,
for example).

The "filetype plugin indent on" line turns on your plugins; ie. they're now being loaded, whereas they were not being loaded before. Hence, the ctrl+] is likely to be invoking some mapping that you didn't
have heretofore.

:verbose map c_ctrl-v_]?

        :verbose map <C-]>

(The terminology isn't the same in the :map command as in :help).

Also, IIUC, the OP means Ctrl-] in Normal mode (jump to tag), not in
Command-line mode (trigger abbreviation).

should show you what plugin is re-defining ctrl+] in the command line.

Regards,
Chip Campbell