Markus Heidelberg wrote:
> Charles E. Campbell, Jr., 19.08.2008:
>
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> It's been sent to the vim_dev and vim_use lists as an attachment to a
>>> mail titled "Re: 'relativenumber' patch updated for Vim 7.2", by Markus
>>> Heidelberg, dated 2008-08-11 23:27:07 +0200. (Beware: The same thread
>>> has an earlier 7.2 version of the same patch.)
>>>

>> Thank you, Tony -- I found the post & attachment, and I now have a link
>> to it in my document.
>>

> The link refers to the earlier version as Tony mentioned. This one is newer:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/attach/10fa0944a8b643b4/vim-7.2-relativenumber-02.patch?part=2
>
> It seems as if the interest in this feature is not as small as supposed by
> Bram. Well, it's an exotic feature, and maybe its strangeness is it's destiny.
>
> However, there are several drawbacks to your plugin, where the numbers aren't
> shown correctly. These are just the major issues:
> - folding isn't handled (I wonder what the bugfix log "Aug 18, 2008 * Fixed
>   some bugs associated with folding" is all about)
> - scrolling without cursor movement (zz Ctrl-E ...)
> And last but not least the performance problem.
>
> In view of that, I wonder if the enthusiastic users of this plugin have ever
> tested my patch, which is a lot more usable at this time.

Hello!

The folding issue that was addressed:
   text1
  fold
  text2
  fold

and with the cursor somewhere in the text2 block, the relative numbering
was missing for text1.  Relative numbering shows now, so long as its
within +-99 lines.

There are a number of things that I'd mention as drawbacks to my plugin:

  * it uses signs, and only about 200 signs are available (hence that
+-99 constraint)  (and, of course, that means that they're not available
for something else)
  * in addition to scrolling w/o cursor movement (ctrl-y, also), there's
redraw which doesn't re-do the signs.  Should be a RedrawEvent or something.
  * signs are attached to buffers.  Hence multiple windows on the same
buffer only shows one set of relative numbers; try :RN with multiple
windows on a buffer showing different parts of the buffer and you'll see
what I mean.

I'll update the link to your patch (when I get a chance -- I'm still
updating vim on this machine+o/s).  I hope you don't consider my plugin
a competitor, I thought of it as more of a step towards your patch (whet
folks' appetites, as it were) -- and maybe even as justification for
your patch given enough interest.  Anyway, that's why I included the
link to your patch.

Regards, and thanks for the patch!
Chip Campbell