Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Aug 23, 6:20 pm, Charles Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'll update the link to your patch (when I get a chance -- I'm still
>> updating vim on this machine+o/s).  I hope you don't consider my plugin
>> a competitor, I thought of it as more of a step towards your patch (whet
>> folks' appetites, as it were) -- and maybe even as justification for
>> your patch given enough interest.  Anyway, that's why I included the
>> link to your patch.
>>
>> Regards, and thanks for the patch!
>>

> Just want to say, I love the plugin and installed it immediately. I'll
> admit that I only use it occasionally, but I do use it. Most of my use
> is for jumping several lines up/down with j or k, though I may
> eventually find other uses for it. I have kind of trained myself to
> use other methods for lack of a quick and easy way to see relative
> line numbers without disrupting my "flow" by manually counting or
> doing arithmetic on the absolute numbers.
>
> Just a couple of gripes:
>
> 1. The default italic text for the signs causes the number to lean
> outside of the signs column in Windows gvim. I have needed to override
> your colors to remove the italics.

I don't know of any way to detect whether the font being used leans out
of the signs column.
Version 3b (available from my website as
http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#RLTVNMBR)
now documents the two highlighting groups that are used to make it easer
for folks to use their own preferences.
> 2. There isn't a good way that I can find to detect that the numbers
> are being displayed. I would like to have the relative numbers replace
> the absolute line numbers from :set nu when it is active, which I
> could do myself if there were a reliable way to detect whether this
> plugin is active.

OK -- I've made a reporting-only variable, g:rltvnmbrmode (=1 enabled,
=0 disabled) for this purpose (v3b).

Thank you for the feedback,
Chip Campbell