On Saturday 23 August 2008 07:24, Markus Heidelberg wrote:

> Charles E. Campbell, Jr., 19.08.2008:
> >
> > Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> > > It's been sent to the vim_dev and vim_use lists as an attachment to a
> > > mail titled "Re: 'relativenumber' patch updated for Vim 7.2", by Markus
> > > Heidelberg, dated 2008-08-11 23:27:07 +0200. (Beware: The same thread
> > > has an earlier 7.2 version of the same patch.)
> > >
> > Thank you, Tony -- I found the post & attachment, and I now have a link
> > to it in my document.
>
> The link refers to the earlier version as Tony mentioned. This one is newer:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/attach/10fa0944a8b643b4/vim-7.2-relativenumber-02.patch?part=2
>
> It seems as if the interest in this feature is not as small as supposed by
> Bram. Well, it's an exotic feature, and maybe its strangeness is it's destiny.
>
> However, there are several drawbacks to your plugin, where the numbers aren't
> shown correctly. These are just the major issues:
> - folding isn't handled (I wonder what the bugfix log "Aug 18, 2008 * Fixed
>   some bugs associated with folding" is all about)
> - scrolling without cursor movement (zz Ctrl-E ...)
> And last but not least the performance problem.
>
> In view of that, I wonder if the enthusiastic users of this plugin have ever
> tested my patch, which is a lot more usable at this time.
>
> Markus

a lot more useable than what?  you are asking me to patch no
fewer than 22 modules:

[Sat Aug 23 10:17] ~/temp> grep '^Index' vim-7.2-relativenumber-02.patch | nl
     1  Index: runtime/doc/quickref.txt
     2  Index: runtime/doc/version7.txt
     3  Index: runtime/doc/options.txt
     4  Index: runtime/doc/syntax.txt
     5  Index: runtime/doc/tags
     6  Index: runtime/lang/menu_de_de.latin1.vim
     7  Index: runtime/syntax/vim.vim
     8  Index: runtime/menu.vim
     9  Index: runtime/optwin.vim
    10  Index: src/proto/misc2.pro
    11  Index: src/edit.c
    12  Index: src/ex_cmds.c
    13  Index: src/gui.c
    14  Index: src/misc1.c
    15  Index: src/misc2.c
    16  Index: src/move.c
    17  Index: src/netbeans.c
    18  Index: src/normal.c
    19  Index: src/option.c
    20  Index: src/option.h
    21  Index: src/screen.c
    22  Index: src/structs.h

rebuild and re-install the app, as opposed to installing a
plugin that's been vimballed?

so, no, i haven't tried your patch, sorry, call me lazy

sc