Tony Mechelynck, 26.08.2008:

> On 26/08/08 23:38, Markus Heidelberg wrote:
> > Tony Mechelynck, 24.08.2008:
> >> OTOH, I would have nothing against both above-mentioned patches being
> >> incorporated into the mainline sources, Bill's patch as part of the
> >> +float feature, and your relative-numbers patch either as standard or as
> >> another optional feature (I suppose the latter would imply bracketing
> >> all its changes in #ifdef directives but it might be the better choice).
> >> But of course Bram has the final say on this matter.
> >
> > If encapsulating the feature in #ifdef directives would be required for
> > mainline, I would do it. But I don't think it's the better choice. It is a
> > small feature and by using #ifdef the source code would be split up even
> > though much of the environment already exists because of the 'number'
> > option.
> >
> > Markus
>
> Well, #ifdef's would be needed if this feature is included as optional
> (meaning you can include or exclude it at compile-time and test for it
> with has()). If the fature is included as standard they aren't
> necessary, but maybe Bram won't want to include as standard, or maybe
> not at all, we'll see. In any case, the availability can still be tested
> with exists('+relativenumber') or something (name of the option with a
> plus sign) and anyone using the feature should test it this way until
> any builds without it are hopelessly obsolete (if ever).
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

Yes, I've already understand you in your last mail.
optional feature -> #ifdef FEAT_RELATIVENUMBER -> +-relativenumber
But I think that wouldn't beautify the source code and would be overhead for
just a single option.

Currently I use exists("&rnu") to be able to use the self-compiled and the
distribution (well, Gentoo, also self-compiled) Vim.

Markus