Chris, you do not need a Wi-Fi 6 or 6E network for smart home devices. The main
benefit of adding the 6 Ghz band is that a router can support up to 200 devices
so unless you think you will have that many there is no huge benefit. Some of
the most bandwidth hungry devices are security cameras, video doorbells and so
on and even here you don't need Wi-Fi 6 and in fact most of them on the market
at this point don't even support the Wi-Fi 6 standard yet.
I own a retail store and we run 7 video cameras and a Nest Door Bell which are
all streaming simultaneously, there are 4 VoIP telephones and we do at times
have 3 phone calls going at the same time, there are 2 smart thermostats, 3
Google Mini smart speakers which are set up to play notifications from the Nest
Video Door Bell, there are 3 Sonos Amp receivers for music, a controller for
our window shutters and I know I forgot some stuff because when I was logged
into my router the other day I saw that just over 50 devices were connected.
All of this runs flawlessly and with 0 issues on a Netgear Orbi mesh system
with 1 satellite in a 6500 square foot store and I have a 500 down and 250 up
fiber internet connection.
You have to remember that things like light switches, smart plugs, smart locks
and all that sort of stuff really only requires a very minimal amount of data
and there is a reason why quite a few smart home devices still communicate on
the 2.4 Ghz band; it is plenty enough and it has a better range and is not
effected as much by walls and such.
Now, don't get me wrong, if I were to set up a new Wi-Fi network or had to
upgrade because of router issues, I would absolutely recommend to go with a
router which supports the Wi-Fi 6E standard although Wi-Fi 7 is already onb the
horizon and that is the reason why I am in no hurry to upgrade, I'll  most
likely wait until there is a good Wi-Fi 7 router on the market.
Another aspect which will be much more relevant to home automation and smart
devices is support for the new Matter standard and if you are looking for a new
router, don't buy anything which does not have thread/Matter support. You can
Google it, but in short it allows devices connected to the Wi-Fi to communicate
directly with each other without going out over the Internet. This is a huge
step forward because it means many of your devices would even still work if
there were no internet connection because, for example, your smart lock or
smart light switch or smart light bulb communicates directly with your iPhojne
on the Wi-Fi network whereas now the communication also requires a working
internet connection.
I know for sure that the Amazon Eeros mesh system has thread support and it's
actually supposed to be one of the better mesh systems for  home automation, I
believe maybe the Google mesh system also has it, but not totally sure. I would
also make sure that any smart home device you buy whether it's a thermostat,
smart lock or light bulb has Matter support. There are more and more devices
coming on the market now and in some cases companies can add this through a
software update, but check it and make sure it's supported and you'll be glad
you did a few years down the road.