Reading these messages, I am reminded of computer software throughout the past
30 years.

When you purchase a program on disk in a store, the policy is, and has been for
the past 30 years, that if you open the packaging, you cannot return the
program. I wasted many dollars purchasing software that turned out to be
inaccessible. Very occasionally, I was able to convince the shop to refund my
money, but usually I was out of luck.

The real question is why has our computer culture been like this for at least
the previous 30 years? The answer is, software piracy. In the beginning of
computer usage, when disks took the place of punch cards, people figured out
how to exactly duplicate software. So, they would purchase the program disk,
take it home, open it, copy it, return the disk to the store, say it did not
meet their needs, get a refund, and return home to use their now free software.
The more enterprising amongst them would share the software, or even sell the
software. This is otherwise known as piracy, and it is very big business. Oh,
and save for a few business enterprise exceptions, most purchased computer
software cannot be returned, even if it is inaccessible. And, it definitely
cannot be try-it before you buy-it.

So, what about the App Store? Apple ties your software purchase to your account
to reduce software piracy. However, any app you purchase immediately and
permanently exists on your iOS device and in any external back-up medium. So,
when you get a refund from Apple, you still have access to the app. You will
not be able to upgrade it without purchasing it again, but the original
software may well be in your possession. Unless you agree to allow Apple to
make random spot-checks of your iOS device to confirm that you have, indeed,
removed any and all incidents of the software, and they can check in several
months time to continue verifying that you are not secretly running the
software you haven't paid for, well, that is the other side of the argument. If
I was an app developer, I would not want to know my apps were being pirated.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone