Reggie and Allegra

On Sep 17, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Christopher Chaltain <chalt...@gmail.com> wrote:

This has nothing to do with Apple versus Windows. In a 32-bit chip, you only
have 32 bits to use when loading an address into a register. This means that
you can only access 4 gigabytes of memory on a 32-bit chip using just one
register access. There are techniques that can be used to get to more memory
from a 32-bit chip or a 32-bit operating system but these involve memory
mapping and start impacting performance.

Note that the 5s may appear faster than the 5, but this will be due to a faster
chip and not the fact that it's 64-bit. I doubt very much anyone will notice a
performance increase because of the 64-bit chip. This will come down the road
later.

On 09/17/2013 11:14 AM, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:
> Hi, I believe the 4gb of memory access applies to Windows-based
> operating systems and not Apple devices. But I am just spewing out what
> I think I know. It's true that in Windows if you have a 32-bit system
> and more than 4gb of ram, only the first 4gb will be used, but 64-bit
> will use more than 4gb. But isn't this Apples and Oranges, or better
> yet, Apples and Windows?
>
> --
> Raul A. Gallegos
> Everyone's mature until the bubble wrap comes out. - Sheldon Cooper
> Twitter and Facebook user ID: rau47
>
> On 9/16/2013 9:59 PM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
>> I'm not sure what articles you're reading. I think it's true that you
>> won't see any advantage to the iPhone having a 64-bit processor at the
>> moment, although I've definitely read articles that say it does speed up
>> the finger print scanning and a few other things.
>>
>> It's absolutely not true though that the only thing you get from a
>> 64-bit operating system is the ability to address more than 4G of real
>> memory. If you're reading an article that states that then you should
>> stop reading because the author clearly doesn't know what they're
>> talking about. Obviously, you will be able to address more than 4G of
>> memory, but you can also pass more information between processes at one
>> time, address a larger file system and so on. When dealing with large
>> amounts of data, such as in a database or a spread sheet, there's less
>> memory indirection, so there's improved performance. There's a reason
>> servers, desktops and laptops have all gone to 64-bit processors,
>> operating systems and applications, and it isn't just marketing.
>>
>> Just as with PC's, Macs and laptops, the hardware had to move to 64-bit
>> before the operating system and applications could start taking
>> advantage of it. that's exactly what we're seeing now. You may not see
>> advantage to the 64-bit chips in the iPhone today, but it's a necessary
>> step to get to the applications that need the additional memory, file
>> system size and computing power.
>>
>> On 09/16/2013 09:32 PM, Mike wrote:
>>> From everything I've read 64 bit only makes a difference when your
>>> using at or above 4gb of ram. The iPhone definitely doesn't have that
>>> much so I really don't get the point of it.
>>> I've come across more than one article saying that this is just
>>> marketing and won't make a bit of difference in performance.
>>>
>>> Mike m
>>> How to be Blind
>>> www.htb2.com
>>> Roundtable podcasts, software reviews, accessibility tutorials, and
>>> more!

question brings up a question not necessarily related to iPhone, but I really
need to know. I want to download Jaws as a demo and see both 32 bit and 64 bit.
How do I know what to download? I would not even thought the 5s was different
if it was not talked about. If it is faster, I would just be ecstatic and not
know why. :) Will have a lot of questions tomorrow about how to get everything
that can be used on an iPad on the iPad! Just a warning! I am getting iPad
tomorrow and hope it has more room than my little 4s.