Hi Steve,

I'm afraid you are mistaken on a number of counts.

When the AT&T Labs shut down, we started RealVNC and continued development
of the VNC 3.x system, and the TightVNC and UltraVNC projects are based on
that codebase.  I don't think anyone would dispute the hard work that's gone
into both projects.  We continued to develop and release the new VNC 4.x
system, which we made available under the terms of the GPL - it was
announced on the mailing lists but perhaps you missed it somehow.

The latest versions of the VNC system (series 4) retain full compatibility
with the earlier VNC 3.x system, as does the TightVNC project.  The UltraVNC
project, however, uses a custom protocol that is based on the old RFB 3.3
specification, but which breaks the protocol version numbering scheme,
making it incompatible with the RFB protocol, and so with VNC.

I hope this clears things up for you, but if you have any further questions,
please feel free to contact me off-list and I'll be happy to discuss them
with you.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.