What Don Wilson said about Sweet was meaningful. When Sweet prepared a barium
ferrite billet, he did it in small steps removing magnetization one small
bit at a time repeatedly over hours until Sweet got to the critical level
that was optimal.

It was Sweets goal to get the magnetic field right on that cutting edge
where it could be shut off with a minimum counter field.

Or it could also be that the activation field turned on the field with a
minimum of power required.   In either case, the change of state
between magnetization and non magnetization, between a week field and a
stronger field produce the change in flux that produces the movement of
current in the output coil(S).

In general, the goal over overunity power production is the activation of
power production with a activating parameter(s) that consumes less power
than it produces.

It sounds like Sweet had the knowledge to find that optimum point in the
setup of the magnet to reach that point of minimum field activation or
deactivation power requirement.