Hi,
[snip]
>K shells are not usually vacant, so such an electron would still upset
>things. Regards,
>
>You miss the point! If you increase the nuclear charge by +2 then
>exactly 2 k-shell electrons are missing!

True, I did miss that point, but your statement raises another. In that case,
you are only supplying a single extra electron from the neutron of the D, so the
other K shell vacancy remains unfilled, and will cause a higher level electron
to drop into the vacancy releasing an x-ray.
Of course, for light elements this will only be a soft x-ray, but for mid-range
or heavy atoms this can be quite energetic.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success