On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Frank wrote:
 The spatial confinement combined with the equivalence boundary
suggests the 10E-14 newtons of acceleration calculated by DiFiore et all is a vector wholly on the time axis -no trig portions of the spatial axis, the force was ignored as inconsequential but I suggest the confinement allows
heat energy to contribute to the vector and without a relief valve of
combustion could lead to a thermal runaway where H1 and H2 states oscillate by virtue of a Pd like opposition to diatomic formation but here in the cavity a high velocity version of this property that immediately tears apart
H2 restoring monatomic energy levels.

Fran,

I had decided to leave you with your fantasies, but I just can't help myself! I have to make one more try at getting some common sense with regard to DiFiore at al.

The 10^-14 newtons is a *force*, not an acceleration.

DiFiore at all state: "... to increase the total force and obtain macroscopic dimensions, Nl = 10^6 layers can be used, each having a diameter of 35 cm, and thickness of 100 nm, for a total thickness of about 10 cm."

This is a device of volume Pi * (35 cm/2)^2 * (10 cm) = 550 cm^3. It is a device comprised of layers of SiO2 and aluminum. The combined density is about 2.65 g/cm^3, so the weight is about (2.65 g/cm^3)* (550 cm^3) = 1.46 kg.

If you ignore the much more massive power supply required, the maximum acceleration that can be obtained is:

   a = f/m = (10^-14 N)/(1.46 kg) = 6.8x10^-15 m/s^2

This is true no matter how big you build you engine. Suppose you wanted to use such a 10^-14 newton device to provide thrust for a modest 1000 kg space craft. We have:

  a = f/m = (10^-14 N)/(1000 kg) = 10^-17 m/s^2

Acceleration does not have an exponential effect on velocity. It has a linear effect on velocity. In fact, if we accelerate for t seconds we obtain a velocity of:

   v = a * t

Suppose we want to see how long it takes for the space craft to go from 0 to 60 mph, to see what kind of hot rod we have. Think it can do it in 10 seconds? Let's see:

   t = v/a = (60 mph)/(10^-17 m/s^2)

     = (96.5 km/h)/(10^-17 m/s^2)

     = (26.8 m/s)/(10^-17 m/s^2)

     = 2.68 x 10^18 seconds

     = 8.49 x 10^10 years

which is older than the age of the known universe.

Hopefully I haven't made a simple mistake.  Please check my work.

The acceleration provided by (10^-14 N)/(1.46 kg), i.e. 6.8x10^-15 m/ s^2, can not produce any practical effects. It cannot provide useful velocities in a century, nor can it be engineered to provide useful kinetic energy or forces. Applied to an atom, it certainly can not provide enough energy in a lifetime to ionize the atom.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/