Robin,
        I would agree that defects in the lattice like 4nm gaps between
graphite would form cavities but the problem with using the lattices
themselves as the cavity is that I think lattice structures represent just
the opposite effect. Diatomic metal atoms start out covalent then form
almost free electron bonds (metallic) which concentrates mass and therefore
vacuum flux very locally. If the geometry is arranged to form flat plates
and then 2 of these plates are brought close together the isotropy is broken
- the 2 concentration zones starve the narrow cavity reservoir. Here for
once I can use DiFiore et all to good use - the reason their 10 E-14
calculated force was so small is because they were looking for a net effect
for a stack of cavities with respect to the ambient external gravitational
field - the problem is that the isotropy is broken only very very locally
and the depletion zones where longer wavelength flux are discouraged is
balanced by a larger distributed area where longer flux are encouraged in
the lattice. This is not in opposition to the wavelength propagation having
to be a multiple of the spacing but rather a property of the material that
enhances this effect - as Horace pointed out all Casimir cavities do not
have to be metal and many materials will have a small Casimir effect but the
rigid cavities made of metal do seem to be the most active and associated
with excess heat. I believe that lattices down convert flux just like
cavities up convert flux and we can't have one without the other.
Regards
Fran