Mark Iverson wrote:

If I understand Jed's requirements, he is asking for image-over-text, which
> means the image file is
> what one sees, but that there is text associated with each image that
> allows one to do full text
> searches.

Actually, I would call that "image over text." I prefer an ordinary Acrobat
file with straight text and images for the figures, because it is smaller,
but "image over text" is okay.

The only thing I do not want is the image only format, for the 7 reasons I
spelled out earlier.**

The proceedings I uploaded recently were image over text. One of them is 23
MB. The same file in text Acrobat is only 6 MB. I did not convert it all the
way to text Acrobat because it is 710 pages long -- too much trouble.