On 12/09/2009 03:54 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
Hi,
[snip]
However, from the
reported excess heat and from strongly correlated helium
measurements, I consider it well established that the primary nuclear
ash is helium, and that the primary fuel, the starting point, is deuterium.
[snip]
The only reason for the existing hot fusion branching ratios is conservation of
momentum in a two particle reaction. If a third particle is available to share
the momentum, but doesn't actually take part in the nuclear reaction, then D + D
can fuse directly to He4.

This is a variant on coupling to the lattice, is it not? In this case the heavy atom might be seen as acting as a proxy for the whole lattice.

This reminded me of Hagelstein's old phonon exchange theory, which involved reactions at several separate sites taking place simultaneously. I looked around, and rather than that, I found something by him regarding what seems to be a different sort of coupling to dump the momentum and energy (this is probably someplace on lenr-canr.org, too; but I'm a lazy pig and didn't go check):

http://www.rle.mit.edu/rleonline/ProgressReports/2123_36.pdf

The proposed dumping mechanism in that paper sounds sort of like pure magic to me, apparently involving something along the lines of spatially separated coupled oscillators (coupled ?how?), but the footnotes imply the general idea is well accepted in the physics community.

There's no date on that paper I could see, but the most recent footnote was to something in 2007 so it was apparently written within the last couple years.

BTW I found the link link given above on Hagelstein's page at MIT RLE:

http://www.rle.mit.edu/rleonline/People/PeterL.Hagelstein.html

This scenario might be possible if the fusion reaction occurs very close to
another heavy nucleus. Now suppose that the inner shell electrons of a heavy
atom can catalyze the fusion reaction. Two D atoms/nuclei that found their way
into the heavy atom to the location of the inner electron shell would then fuse
and form He4. The energy and momentum would be distributed over both the He4 and
the heavy nucleus.

I have no idea whether or not this is realistic, but it would explain a lot.

BTW I have reason to believe that heavy atom inner shell electrons can provide
the frequencies needed for De Broglie wave wrapping.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html