On 01/14/2010 03:02 PM, Terry Blanton wrote:
> The Orbo is a motor as I am sure we will all agree.  In order for the
> motor to be OU, it must be outputting more mechanical energy than
> electrical energy it consumes.

Not exactly -- not the way the term has been used to describe the Steorn
motor.

Granted, Sean's "300% OU" would lead to this conclusion.  However, his
fundamental, most basic claim is that the motor has no back EMF, and
consequently *all* input energy appears as heat in the coils.

If that were true, then the motor would be OU if it did any mechanical
work at all, no matter how small the amount.  The OU thing here,
however, is not mechanical_work/input_energy, but rather

   (mechanical_work + heat_in_coils)/input_energy

To determine if this is actually OU it would be necessary to stuff the
whole thing into a calorimeter, which is, I think, the test the firm in
Germany is supposed to perform.

If it could be shown that the motor was, indeed, OU by this test, it
might still be the case that (mechanical_work/input_energy)<1, which
would make it impossible to either close the loop or even get any useful
work out of it, *but* it would still be an incredible, amazing,
remarkable, stunning achievement (or a measurement error, of course).