Yes, nanotechnology surely will have a great role. And electrolysis is -in
this case a generator of technological nightmares, we have to get rid of it.
A gas phase system is a must, heat generated <100 deg Celsius is low quality
energy, >180-200 deg Celsius is OK, you can convert it in electricity via
steam.
This is the reason for disappointment that Leslie Case's process has fizzled
out. In my 1991 "Topology is the key" paper I have predicted it, but it has
died. Lacking imagination,
I think it was poisoned..