At 10:00 AM 3/26/2010, Peter Gluck wrote:
Thank you for calling CF a surface effect, perhaps we have to add that it is a local effect,
only separate point like active sites generate the heat.
Unfortunately micron thin layers evaoprate immediately- can you imagine how much is <http://100W.sq.cm>100W.sq.cm? And can you tell me a single real example of heat excess obtained with such layers in the Pd/D2O system? I have not lied when I was alive, should strat do it now? Should I give non-usable examples, advices to my grandson???

Codeposition, Peter. At last weekend's ACS conference, Miles was reporting six out of six cells producing excess heat.

Now, is codep a practical application? I don't know enough to say, and I have a suspicion not, that other approaches will be mure suited for practical applications. But it does produce excess heat.

If you could give him a usable example, now, you wouldn't need to give it to him, it would be known in the field. This is not a field that is currently rejecting useful work, except maybe there is some level of failure to replicate caused by an edginess or uneasiness with some results. Why the hell has nobody tried to replicate Vyosotskii? If they have, they've kept it secret!

You are artificially limiting the reaction to 100 W/cm^2. If you use greatly increased surface area, combined with only enough reactive material to create Nuclear Active Environment (i.e., thin), you can, in theory, generate the same total power at a much lower power/unit area ratio. The way you would actually design this would be to determine the ideal operating temperature for the application, and, assuming it can be attained, arrange the surface area and the other elements to create this.

"Local effect" is, I imagine, your experience, based on study of Fleischmann-type cells. There are hot spots in codeposition, but they seem to pop up all over the cathode, see the SPAWAR infrared videos on YouTube. The reaction is definitely rare, so the "spots" may simply reflect the chaotic incidence of a rare effect. It seems to me, however, that it's likely that a number of lattice sites "pop" at once, and there might be a chain reaction effect, as a site pops, and it creates disturbance that shocks adjacent sites into reaction, bumping them across some threshold pressure. Question then is what stops it from spreading. It may be slow enough to spread that radiation (IR) from the reaction site, as it builds up, starts to blow away the deuterium, slowly enough that it doesn't react, and that quenches it. And that's as far as my mind can take me at the moment, and maybe it's too far. An alternate explanation follows.

I'm suspecting that a critical factor is D2 gas concentration in confinement. As mentioned at the ACS meeting, apparently, there may be, in solid palladium, voids that can (and will) accomodate the molecular form. That form may be subject to the formation of Bose Einstein Condensates of deuterium, and the theoretical work is indicating that such condensates can collapse and fuse. Codeposition creates a fractal surface that would have effective cavities in it of a range of sizes, together with high surface area. If the ideal size becomes known, it may then be possible to fabricate it efficiently. Nanotechnology. In any case, with this idea, there may be cluster sizes that are larger than just a couple of deuterium molecules, and the heat would be generated in the whole cluster, simultaneously. At least I think that's how a BEC would operate.

Lots of exciting stuff going on.

Peter, we never know how long we have to live. I hope you have many years of healthy life left, but sooner or later the maintenance costs get too high and the unit is retired.

My 6-year-old daughter was born and raised for a couple of years in a part of Ethiopia so "rural" that it's four hours' walk on a donkey trail to the nearest mud road, and she's smart as a whip. The other day, we were talking about what happens when we die. I told her that some people believe we come back in a new form, so she asked the obvious question, what's that? As I was thinking about how to answer, she then said, "I know, Daddy. We come back as love."

So, in a way, I've already "come back." Your grandson won't have to visit your grave, because you will be with him.