At 11:27 AM 3/26/2010, Peter Gluck wrote:
Yes, nanotechnology surely will have a great role. And electrolysis is -in this case a generator of technological nightmares, we have to get rid of it.

Definitely messy. I wouldn't rule it out, though. But gas phase seems more likely. I'm not working with it because the level of materials science is horrific. If I could buy the material, I might go there. Remember, I want kits or something simple. A CO2 cylinder with some of the material in it, pressurized with D2. You get, with it, the temperature profile shown as it was loaded and sealed. You feel it. It's warm. It stays warm. For a long time. But 3000 minutes probably isn't, that's only 50 hours. The Arata results show no decline in temperature at 50 hours, so I don't really know. As Jed has pointed out, Arata is frustrating. We are starting to get independent work that is more fully disclosed.

The cost of that little cylinder is unknown at this point, because it's not just the palladium (there was 7 g of palladium in one of Arata's cells, it's highly processed and for all I can tell, the processing may be more expensive than the palladium.)

A gas phase system is a must, heat generated <100 deg Celsius is low quality energy, >180-200 deg Celsius is OK, you can convert it in electricity via steam.

Actually, hot water heater temperature is fine for direct heating, well below 100 C. Say 60 degrees? Central electrical power station, bad idea for this. Direct heating is a major consumer of energy.

This is the reason for disappointment that Leslie Case's process has fizzled out. In my 1991 "Topology is the key" paper I have predicted it, but it has died. Lacking imagination,
I think it was poisoned..

Could be. However, I'm not sure. It's like a lot of things in this field, there are many, many loose ends, caused by people varying the hell out of what they were doing, hoping to get lucky.