From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 5:17 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Comic gets it right

Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

With the exception of the natural gas industry and the centralized electric
industry, all cold
fusion obstructive forces are unpopular, weak and can be overcome.

I think you are right. I hope you are right!

Still, I expect severe opposition, especially in the early stages. If the
public gets the wrong idea
about cold fusion at first -- that it is dangerous or it resembles fission --
the public relations
campaign may be arduous, and it may fail. The opposition will make every effort
to give people the
wrong idea. That fellow Bjorn Lomborg is the most skilled person at doing this
I have ever seen. His
ability to twist facts in support of the unsupportable is awesome. I expect
they will hire him to
lead the charge against cold fusion.

The battle against cold fusion for the last 22 years was almost successful. It
almost extinguished
the research. It was carried out by a handful of academic hacks -- Robert Park,
Maddox and a few
dozen others. They had the quiet backing of many professors and editors who are
sure that cold
fusion is pathological science. (They remain as sure of that as they were in
March 1989.) They used
no money, but only their positions of power and ability to publish ad hominem
attacks in the
Washington Post and other mass media. The next battle will be in far larger in
scale, and I am sure
that hundreds of millions will be spent by the opposition on advertising
campaigns and bribes to
members of Congress, mass media reporters, and others. It will not be easy to
overcome this.