On 04/26/2011 01:02 PM, Alan J Fletcher wrote:
At 10:50 PM 4/25/2011, Mark Iverson wrote:
>  FYI:
>  Here's an article for all you theorists...
>  "Scientists suggest spacetime has no time dimension"
>  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-scientists-spacetime-dimension.html
>  -Mark

No problem ... progressing from one state to another is pretty much what Loop
Quantum Gravity does.

We already have a whole bunch of 'emergent' properties (heat ... and possibly
gravity), so having time as 'emergent' isn't SUCH a big deal.

It certainly isn't. But the point is that it clarifies a lot of things to see time in this way. Suddenly some "magic" properties of "time", like time dilation, are simply explained as changes in velocity with respect to a preferred frame.

Unfortunately it probably does away with one of my 'favorite' cosmologies, where
we are twisting in a 4D+ space-time, so that individual dimensions can change
from space-like to time-like.

Space and time are probably both sides of the same coin: movement. Time can be understood as movement, or better said, rate of movement. Space in turn can be understood as movement: very specific forms of movement produce or develop space in physical terms. They lay out space, so to speak.