On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Mark Iverson <zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:

> With all the sophistication and accuracy to umpteen decimal places in
> atomic physics/QM, how come we
> can't explain WHY they're perpendicular!  I think any theory should have to
> explain the simple
> observations first before delving down into more difficult and esoteric
> aspects of physics.

What do mean by "we"? It's not from observing e-m waves that we know the
fields are perpendicular. It follows from Maxwell's equations, which predict
the waves. So, certainly some people can explain in arbitrary detail why
they are perpendicular, given what we know about the properties of the
fields as described by Maxwell's equations.

It's basically Faraday's law and the extended Ampere's law that require them
to be perpendicular in the absence of sources (i.e. in self-propogating
waves). The curl of one field is proportional to the other, and since the
curl of a vector is perpendicular to the vector, the fields must be
perpendicular.

Faraday's law is probably the simplest to imagine. Remember in a solenoidal
transformer, a changing magnetic field along the axis produces an electric
field that circulates the axis; i.e. it is perpendicular to it.

An electromagnetic wave sustains itself because a changing electric field
induces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field induces an electric
field, and so they sustain each other as they oscillate, and according to
the induction laws the induced fields are perpendicular.

Now, you can ask why induced fields are perpendicular, or what is the reason
for Faraday's law. Historically, of course, these laws (Maxwell's laws
collectively) were discovered empirically in the laboratory (except for
Maxwell's displacement current, which was his stroke of genius). But now we
know that magnetism is just a relativistic transformation of the electric
field. Maxwell's equations can be derived entirely from Coulomb's law and
relativity, as many textbooks demonstrate. That's not an explanation that's
easy to visualize, but that's where it all stems from. Now, if you ask why
Coulomb's law, or why relativity, the answers become more philosophical,
although there are certainly field theories that give a more fundamental
basis for these things than just treating them axiomatically.