Don't you get any enjoyment from creative, out-of-the-box thinking?
Do you simply accept hook line and sinker what establishment teaches you?
If that's the case, then what are you doing on vortex?  :-)

Most here are quite familiar with 'textbook' physics, and that it is quite a
useful set of rules...
It has put men on the moon and millions of transistors on a very small slab of
sand!!  However, most
here also realize that there are significant problems with it, and the whole
purpose is to explore
those problems... If you haven't figured it out yet, this isn't a mutual
admiration society for
establishment thinking. ;-)

Now to get to your question:
   "How about giving a few examples of the sort of answer you'd find
satisfactory?"

I know this is going to really stretch your brain cells, and will likely cause
undue stress, but you
asked...

We were all taught that the fundamental particles that make up an atom are
electrons, protons and
neutrons... and that there was this concept of electrical 'charge'... And that
electrons had a
negative charge and protons a positive charge... And that like charges repel,
unlike attract.  So
far, pretty basic stuff.

Then we discover Cooper pairs... two electrons bound together! WTF!!!!  The
fundamental RULE says
that like charges repel!!!  Gee, I guess that RULE isn't quite reflective of
ALL electron
interactions!  My contention is that the lack of a physical model has resulted
in an incomplete
mathematical model; a mathematical model that eventually is violated by some
new observation... So
then the theorists work feverishly, perhaps for decades, trying to manipulate
and modify and
'renormalize' their equations in order to explain the new observation.  Well,
chances are good they
will succeed, NOT because they are right, but because mathematics is such a
diverse field that they
eventually succeed in shoving a square peg into a round hole.  But, it may or
may not result in true
understanding!  If that was the case, then we would have been able to explain
superconductivity by
now... And yet it has been studied intensively for many decades and they still
don't know WTF is
going on... Why?  Because they are starting with a flawed, abstract model for
the electron!

Back to the example of what I'd find satisfactory...
Here's a simple physical (not mathematical) model which would allow for the
existence of two like
charges being attracted/bound to one another...
Assume that the vacuum of space is a medium which is under tremendous pressure
and has extremely low
viscosity when it comes to movement within that 'medium'.  Set up an
oscillation in this medium, and
you could see a very fast, periodic oscillation between a higher-pressure area
and a lower-pressure
area... Not unlike the compressional waves in air or water, but with a twist
that there is a form of
surface tension that restricts the higher/lower pressure areas to a small
spherical area.  Another
image that comes to mind, although not entirely accurate, is the oscillations
of a water droplet in
zero-G. Now visualize the electron as a kind of dumb-bell shaped structure, or
dipole shaped if that
sounds more sophisticated, one end being the higher pressure area and the other
the lower pressure
area... The higher and lower pressure areas are NOT static, but are oscillating
in a linear fashion,
and its happening so fast that we cannot possibly discern their true physical
manifestation.  Now
imagine two of these coming near each other but their high/low pressure areas
are 180 degrees out of
phase... One's HP area is next to the others LP area and vice-a-versa...
Doesn't take a genius to
see that these two entities would just want to couple together naturally!
Cooper-pair.

The Point being...
The behavior in this case is simply a result of the makeup of the physical
structures.

Is there any doubt that one could find a mathematical model for this physical
model???  No doubt at
all... And it would probably be a whole lot simpler and easily extensible
compared to what we have
now.

What is missing from much of physical theory is a physical model first...
Before the mathematics.
After relativity and QM came along, the mathematical physicists began to
dominate theoretical
physics and the importance of having a foundation of a physical model
disappeared.

-Mark

How about giving a few examples of the sort of answer you'd find satisfactory?