Hi,
[snip]
>At 01:24 PM 5/25/2011, you wrote:
>HARD CURRENCY ENERGY- how the thermal energy of the active core can be
>converted in electric energy in an economical way?
>

>I don't think that's going to (or needs to) happen any time soon --- it only
>delivers 500C (limited by the nickel powder degrading?) at 50 bar.
>Electrical conversion efficiency at that level is less than 20% (??) -- times
>the 6x factor is barely over unity.
>I'm probably too conservative there.  40% ?   60% ?
>(Way out of my expertise, anyway.)

The Carnot efficiency at 500 C is 52% (assuming the steam is condensed at 100 C,
61% if at room temperature). 50% of 6 = 3, which implies that 1/3 of the
electrical power is used to run the device, and 2/3 is available for external
use. However no device ever actually achieves Carnot efficiency, so this may be
a bit less. OTOH, if this is real then the factor of 6 is likely to grow with
time as better methods of control are developed.

>But the working fluid doesn't have to be water.
>I'm not sure that a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_vapour_turbine would
>get approval for domestic use, though !!!!

I don't think the working fluid makes much difference when the operating
temperature is way above the boiling point of water, so you might as well use
water.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk